Porcelain and pottery backstamps

Monday, August 8, 2011

Different types of back stamps – 4 marks on one 'George and Jones' cup


The following cup is a great example of the difficulties you face in interpreting backstamps.
The owner asked for information in regards to the company using the impressed mark.



The impressed mark is hard to see, but I am certain its George and Jones (& Sons Ltd), at Stoke, England - reproduced in Geoffrey Gooden’s New Handbook of British Pottery & Porcelain Marks (London 1999, p.92). The company was founded in 1861 and closed in 1951, they produced porcelain from 1872 onwards. The particular mark was used from 1874 to 1924. There are also impressed shape numbers.

The owner was able to deceiver and read the printed British registration mark: “The diamond registration mark depicts IV, 20, 8, V and E which would lead me to believe this pattern/design was first registered in 1876, batch 8, May 20th”. Every decorative art design could be registered with the British patent office from 1842 onwards. 

The real mystery is the hand painted mark: “M.E.B. '85”. This is the painters mark, maybe a skilful ‘hoppy’ artist, who liked to decorate porcelain.

See also:
http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/j/jonesgeo.html




1 comment:

  1. I want to share with you all here on how I got my loan from Mr Benjamin who helped me with a loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i applied for the loan when things were getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin granted me loan without delay. Here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete